Oct. 4, 2016 —The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has awarded its best rating possible, Top Safety Pick+, to the 2017 Kia Sedona minivan. Already distinguished by its elegant design, exceptional comfort and utility, the 2017 Sedona is offered with available Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)1, a system that helps to avoid forward collisions by warning the driver of an impending forward collision and then applying the brakes if no action is taken. The addition of AEB1 qualified the 2017 Sedona for the elevated 2016 IIHS TSP+ rating.
“Buyers often place safety at the top of their list when shopping for a new minivan,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president, product planning KMA. “The IIHS is a highly respected safety authority and we see the 2017 Sedona’s TSP+ rating as validation of Kia’s dedication to its customers and to the continuous efforts to build better and safer vehicles.”
The top rating is even more impressive in light of the new testing standards implemented by IIHS this year. In order to achieve the TSP+ rating, vehicles are required to earn “good” ratings in five crashworthiness tests—small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side impact, roof strength and head restraints—and an “advanced” or “superior” rating for front crash prevention. The addition of AEB boosts the Sedona’s front crash prevention rating from “basic” to “superior.”
The TSP+ rating improves the Sedona’s previous rating as a Top Safety Pick and complements the minivan’s 5-star crash rating awarded by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration in 2015.2
About the new 2017 Sedona:
The 2017 Sedona offers some key enhancements over the 2016 model year, including:
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) is added to a rich mix of available Advanced Driver Assisted System (ADAS) features: Blind-Spot Detection (BSD) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Lane Departure Warning (LDWS), and Smart Cruise Control (SCC).1
- UVO3 e-Services3 system (with the added smart-phone connectivity of Apple®4 CarPlayTM and Android5 AutoTM and Navigation system with larger 7-inch display screen. Navigation with 8-inch screen is also available.
- Dynamic Bending Light (DBL) technology is combined with an upgraded High-Intensity-Discharge headlight system for even greater nighttime visibility.
- The enhanced Essentials Premium Package now includes Front & Rear Park-Assist1, Smart Key, UVO3 with rear camera, and leather trim.
- A new available Acoustic Windshield provides a supremely quiet driving experience.
Also new for the 2017 model year is a front passenger’s seat power adjustment switch for the added convenience of easily operating the passenger seat from the driver’s side of the vehicle and new premium stainless steel second-row door steps are standard on SXL models.
1 These features are not substitutes for safe driving and may not detect all objects around vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
2 Government star ratings are part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA’s) New Car Assessment Program (www.safercar.gov).
3 Warning: Driving while distracted can result in a loss of vehicle control that may lead to an accident, severe personal injury and death. Always drive safely and use caution.
4 Apple® is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.
5 Android™ is a trademark of Google, Inc